Posted by: rlukei | February 5, 2010

Azalea Flies Circle Around Lake Mattamuskeet

20100205

Azalea remains at Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge. She has been staying mostly near the Wildlife Drive on the south side of Lake Mattamuskeet. However, on Feb 3 she left there about 8:00am and flew a complete circle around the lake and was back near the same location by 4:00pm. She was in the same spot near New Holland at midnight Feb 4 and 5.

Click on map to enlarge to full screen.

Tags: , , , , ,

Responses

she’s really scoping out the new area. perhaps to see what abundance of food is available to her? I hope she has other eagles to hang out with or see periodically. she’s definately spreading her wings and flying!! good for her

Patti,

Mattamuskeet should have a very good food source with all the waterfowl that winter there. Also, as compared to Aligator River, Mattamuskeet has a more established forest of tall cypress and pines for her and other eagles to roost and scope out better. I am hoping that my brother and I can make it down there one weekend to see if we can catch a glimpse of her and other eagles. If not, the fishing shouldn’t be bad at least. πŸ˜›

Stuart – Bring a camera!!

Categories